[Dovecot] v2.1.rc1 released

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Fri Nov 25 13:38:13 EET 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 09:25:47PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I'm not sure if changing /etc/security/limits.conf helps. It's probably
> only used by PAM when user logs in, so if Dovecot is started in system
> bootup it's unlikely to have been even read yet. Also I think some OSes
> override the limits in /etc/init.d/ scripts. Of course, I could be
> completely wrong in all of the above, I haven't really tested any of
> it :)

The OP was running Centos, and the Red Hat way of increasing nofile for
services is to add the ulimit setting to /etc/sysconfig/dovecot:

	ulimit -n 32768

This is what we use, and it survives dovecot upgrades (since this is
tagged as a configfile in RPM, not as script that will be overwritten on
upgrades).

  -jf