[Dovecot] Fault tolerant architecture

Simone Caruso info at simonecaruso.com
Wed Nov 30 12:33:29 EET 2011

On 28/11/2011 23:14, Marcelo Salhab Brogliato wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to this list and want your help.
> I'm the mail admin for some domains in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil. Today we have only one machine running dovecot (imap+pop3) with local mail.
> We are migrating to two virtual machines in kvm running in separate hosts. Then we have two main problems:
> - How to share mail files to both dovecots? We've been thinking about NFS using local indexes. Is this a good approach?
> - How do we have a fault tolerant mail servers? Our first solutions is using two IP addresses in our DNS records.

For imap i need only 1 VIP both for loadbalancing or HA, for SMTP u can use dns
failover with multiple mx records.

> About NFS using local indexes, I'm configuring a test server. But how to configure local indexes when my mail_location comes from sql (userdb_home actually).
> I'm using dovecot 1.2.9.
I suggest to not use local indexing (for high i/o after failover) , anyway NFS
for HA setup works well!

If u need a cluster (master/master) consider having an HA loadbancer (dovecot
director):

--
Simone Caruso
IT Consultant