[Dovecot] Dovecot crashes totally

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 4 21:43:31 EET 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 21:21 +0200, Gordon Grubert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> our dovecot server crashes totally without any really useful
> log messages. The error log can be found in the attachment.
> The only way to get dovecot running again is a complete
> system restart.

How often does it break? If really a "complete system restart" is needed
to fix it, it doesn't sound like a Dovecot problem. Check if it's enough
to stop dovecot and then make sure there aren't any dovecot processes
lying around afterwards.

> Oct 11 09:55:23 mailserver2 dovecot: master: Error: service(imap):
> Initial status notification not received in 30 seconds, killing the
> process
> Oct 11 09:56:23 mailserver2 dovecot: imap-login: Error: master(imap):
> Auth request timed out (received 0/12 bytes)

Kind of looks like auth process is hanging. You could see if stracing it
shows anything useful. Also are any errors logged about LDAP? Is LDAP
running on the same server?