[Dovecot] Newbie Question/Feature Request

Michael Papet mpapet at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 19:33:20 EET 2011

Hi,

I'm working on a plugin for qpsmtpd (a perl smtp frontend) that delivers mail via dovecot's LDA.  I can only get mail delivered by writing the email to file, then calling 'deliver -d someone -f someone-else < /path/to/temp/email'  All good, expected behavior. A perl snippet:

local $/=undef;
open FH, "< ./demo.mail";
my $stringified = <FH>;
# this is roughly equivalent to how other LDA queues work.
close FH;

open (CMD_OUT, " /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f somedude\@someplace.com -d anotherdude\@destination.dom $stringified |");
my $test = <CMD_OUT>;
print $test;

The above code errors out because the expected behavior is $stringified is supposed to be a file name.  It would be great if deliver could be fed the email as a string so I don't have to add a step of writing to file.  Or, maybe there's an undocumented method?

Thanks.
mpapet