[Dovecot] indexes permissions problem

Mark Hanford research at cruzio.com
Thu Nov 10 10:30:31 EET 2011

Hey all, I did a search but didn't find the answer to my problem, so
here goes.

I've got a centos 6 server running Dovecot 2.0.beta6 (3156315704ef).
For legacy reasons (I'm moving mail from a Dovecot 1.1.1 and FreeBSD box
with user home directories NFS mounted), my index files are setup to be
in /u/indexes/

On the Dovecot 1.1.1 installation, the perms on the indexes directory is
777 with root:mail ownership.

The same thing on the Dovecot 2 / Centos server results in a 'permission
denied' error when Dovecot tries to create files.
So, I guess my main question is, what perms and ownership should
/u/indexes be set to?  I've tried several different things before this
cry for help...

Thanks.

Mark