[Dovecot] Invalid "doveadm search" queries not rejected

Peter Williams peter at newton.cx
Fri Nov 11 09:41:21 EET 2011

Hello,

I think I've encountered a bug in Dovecot 2.0.9 (as provided on CentOS
6).

According to the doveadm-search-query(7) manual page, a "mailbox"
specification can only come at the beginning of a search query. However,
if I put a mailbox specification in the middle of a query, not only do I
not get an error message, I get surprising results:

  $ doveadm search mailbox A |wc -l
  6979
  $ doveadm search mailbox B |wc -l
  206
  $ doveadm search mailbox A OR mailbox B |wc -l
  42492

If it became possible to do boolean logic on mailbox queries, that'd be
cool. But barring that, these invalid queries should be rejected.

Relatedly, if I can only do simple mailbox filtering, does anyone know
of a clever way to efficiently emulate more complex boolean logic?

Please CC me on any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Williams / peter at newton.cx