[Dovecot] dsync problems

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Tue Nov 15 21:24:18 EET 2011

When a user renames their username, I am using dsync to copy their mail
over to the new username's mail location[0].

Some of the dsyncs are failing with errors that I dont know how to work
with, for example:

dsync(<username>): Error: Trying to open a non-listed mailbox with guid=41fcd40303c8a64e432300007ef44c7a
dsync(<username>): Error: msg iteration failed: Couldn't open mailbox 41fcd40303c8a64e432300007ef44c7a
dsync(<username>): Error: Trying to open a non-listed mailbox with guid=41fcd40303c8a64e432300007ef44c7a
dsync(<username>): Error: Trying to open a non-listed mailbox with guid=42fcd40303c8a64e432300007ef44c7a
dsync(<username>): Error: Trying to open a non-listed mailbox with guid=43fcd40303c8a64e432300007ef44c7a
dsync(<username>): Error: Trying to open a non-listed mailbox with guid=44fcd40303c8a64e432300007ef44c7a
ERROR: dsync failed, exit code: 256

The errors cause a non-zero exit code from dsync, which causes my rename
script to bail out. What are these errors, and how can I fix them?

Thanks,
micah

0. Why use dsync instead of a simple mv operation? This seems to be
necessary for two corner cases:

1. dovecot creates the new mailbox automatically when the user logs in
or receives a mail, so if the user changes their mail and logs in or
receives an email before the move has been done, then the mailbox is
created and then a move command will fail.

2. If there has been new mail created under the new name, we can't just
simply remove the stuff that is automatically created there and replace
it with the old things because we could potentially be removing mail
that has been delivered in the mean time.

I'd be really interested if people had suggestions for a better
mechanism, or perhaps a way to have dovecot not create the new mail
location automatically.