[Dovecot] Excessive imap-logins, never die

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 00:48:19 EET 2011

Hiya,

Today I note there are 38 imap-logins  that seem to be stale on our staff
imap server,
 they do not seem to die off, new imap-logins are created with new logins
and exit accordingly.

Now, these are from our monitoring software that runs on another server on
our LAN. Our corporate link was taken down for 2 hours for urgent
relocation of fibre (demolishing old adjoining building, and just in case,
they needed to move it which we were glad about), so, this begs the
question, why would imap-logins be there I guess in some sort of wait
state, even with a still working internal DNS (internal view as well) the
only difference is no actual internet connection in this time.  A week ago
when they first started to working and we lost internet for 45 minutes I
also saw a few extra stale imap-logins, but after todays events, I decided
this is a bigger issue that needs to be looked into, as dovecot required a
restart to clear it all (I wasnt going to sit there killing individual PIDs
all evening).

Dovecot version 1.2.17, built from source