[Dovecot] Question about imaps

jgiles at cybermesa.com jgiles at cybermesa.com
Mon Nov 21 17:44:13 EET 2011

Hi List!

Had a questions about imap vs. imaps.

I read the ssl article at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL and from what I am
reading, imaps is no longer needed as imap with initiate SSL/TLS on its
own if STARTTLS is started and I have disable_plaintext_auth=yes and
ssl=required settings.

I do have SSL up and working, and can connect using imap (143) to my
server without issue, but was not able to connect using imaps (993) using
Kmail as my client.

I Was getting a client error stating that the authentication failed using
my password. However, there was nothing in the mail.err or mail.log file
even when I enable debugging.

If I specify imaps as my only protocol, then dovecot fails to even start
without any error loging at all.

As I stated, imap works just fine.

So, is imaps deprecated as mentioned in the article and imaps no longer
needed?

I am running Dovecot 2.0.13 on an Ubuntu 11.10 64bit server.
This server is simply an imap serer and not a MTA (No postfix or sendmail
installed.)

Thanks!
Joe