[Dovecot] Unique message IDs?

Alexander Chekalin achekalin at lazurit.com
Mon Nov 21 22:02:39 EET 2011

Hello,

I'm working with indexing my mail box. What I need is to have index in
which mailing specified header string is located. I work with the
messages via IMAP. I know that sounds like FTS can help me but no, I
don't want to index whole message nor I want to patch FTS source to make
it to index headers only.

I need a way to identify message across my mail box. The idea is that I
can move messages between IMAP folders and the index still should be
able to identify it.

What I want to know, will UID strings be unique across all my messages
no matter which IMAP folder it belongs now to, or the UID can change if
I move message? If I remove dovecot-uidlist from the folder will UIDs of
messages in the folder be changed? What happened if I put a message to
the given IMAP folder (and dovecot-uidlist will record UID for it), then
shut down dovecot, and (given maildir storage model) move the message's
file info another folder in the same mail box - after I start dovecot,
will the UID for the message be the same or not?

Thank you in advance,
   Alexander Chekalin