[Dovecot] 1.2.15 can't get zlib working

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Nov 22 19:00:08 EET 2011

Following these instructions:  http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Zlib

I enabled zlib and restarted Dovecot.  I made a backup copy of a 68MB
mbox file and moved it to a non mail directory.  The mbox file is an
existing TBird IMAP folder in my UNIX user mail directory.  It is an
archive of a defunct mailing list.  It was a regular IMAP folder prior
to attempting this.  I was able to access all emails in the folder.  It
worked fine.  I gzipped the original mbox file down to 14MB and removed
the write flag with chmod.  I launched TBird and received the following
error in Activity Manager when accessing this IMAP folder:

The current operation on '1-Spam-l' did not succeed.  The mail server
for account stan at hardwarefreak.com responded: Mailbox doesn't exist:
1-Spam-l

I deleted the Dovecot index files and the TBird 1-Spam-l.msf file which
didn't help.  Curiously, there are no entries in either dovecot.err or
dovecot.log, giving not even the slightest hint as to where I should
troubleshoot.

Kinda sucks when one follows instructions exactly, simple instructions
at that, and it doesn't work, and generates zero log errors.  A bit
frustrating...

Any ideas?

/$ la /home/stan/mail/1-Spam-l.gz
-r-------- 1 stan stan 14M Oct 28  2010 /home/stan/mail/1-Spam-l.gz

# 1.2.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.38.6 i686 Debian 6.0.3 xfs
log_path: /var/log/dovecot.err
info_log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap
ssl_parameters_regenerate: 0
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_process_per_connection: no
login_process_size: 16
login_processes_count: 1
login_max_processes_count: 1
login_max_connections: 8
max_mail_processes: 4
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: mbox:/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mailbox_idle_check_interval: 15
mbox_write_locks: fcntl
mbox_very_dirty_syncs: yes
mbox_lazy_writes: no
mail_plugins: fts fts_squat zlib
imap_client_workarounds: tb-extra-mailbox-sep
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster at hardwarefreak.com
  mail_plugins: sieve
auth default: