[Dovecot] Which FTS to use!

Henrique Santos Fernandes sf.rique at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 17:29:35 EET 2011

Hello, i am currently using squat dovecot, but some users that have lots os
emails ( 1GB ) are complaining about speed.
Iam using dovecot 2.0.13 on debian 6

my squat conf is
plugin {
  fts = squat
  fts_squat = partial=4 full=5
}

I am thinking in maybe start to use Solr, so any one can help me with an
decision?

I am probably gonna update dovecot to 2.1 next year. and them maybe change
the FTS plugin.

This year i will get 10k disk only to store the dovecot index, rigth now
they are saved on the same storage that the mails are and also change  the
"full" parameter to something  like 10 or 15 I know i will use more disk
space for it, but it will make a lot of differences right? it will match
the message without  the need of opening it for any search smaller than 10
character i guess.

But this will be enough? or Solr or Lucene still better?

Anyway, i am not current updating the indexes automatic, but i am planing
on it, just not sure what is better, the command doveadm index or doveadm
search... with one is better to do the task?

Thanks!

[]'sf.rique