[Dovecot] POP3/IMAP crash signal 10

Patrick Wood Patrick.Wood at tups.net.au
Mon Nov 28 05:24:54 EET 2011

Hi,

I'm building a Postfix/Dovecot mail server and while I am able to send/receive emails using telnet, after establishing a connection to Dovecot via a client (Mail Live, Thunderbird etc) the following appears in the logs:

Nov 28 14:11:02 mailserver dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.info] pop3-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, mpid=282
78
Nov 28 14:11:02 mailserver dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] master: Error: service(pop3-login): child 28277 killed with signal 10 (core not dumped - set service pop3-log
in { drop_priv_before_exec=yes })
Nov 28 14:11:02 mailserver dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.info] pop3(user at domain.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/5, size=3250

I also experience very poor connectivity to the server, with Microsoft Mail and Thunderbird regularly failing to connect (connection errors in the client and no login attempt in the dovecot logs). I assume this is related to the issue above.

I am running dovecot 2.0.16 on Solaris 10 SPARC using a ZFS filesystem for mailbox storage.

Here is my configuration:

# 2.0.16: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: SunOS 5.10 sun4u  zfs
auth_mechanisms = plain login
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_location = maildir:/storage0/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_plugins = quota
passdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  quota = maildir:User quota
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
}
postmaster_address = root at domain.com
sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = quota quota imap_quota
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = quota quota
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_plugins = quota quota
  pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
}

I'm tearing my hair out! Hopefully someone can see something I'm missing