[Dovecot] Problems Configuring Pigeonhole/Seve

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Oct 17 09:37:13 EEST 2011

On 10/17/2011 8:17 AM, Ian Barton wrote:
> I am moving my email server from Ubuntu Lucid to Arch. The Arch server
> is running Dovecot V2.0.15. Email is working fine, but I can't get
> Pigeonhiole/sieve to work.
[...]
> I have created the sieve dir in the virtual users folder. However
> sieve doesn't appear to be working.
> I have tried logging in manually to see if sieve is running,

'Logging into Sieve' means that you are checking whether the ManageSieve
protocol is active. Using this technique, you'll only be able to verify
that it is possible to remotely upload Sieve scripts. This has nothing
to do with whether Sieve scripts are being executed at delivery or not.
Still, connecting to that protocol should work:

> but get the following error:
> ian:~/ $ gnutls-cli --starttls -p 143 mail2.wilkesley.net
>                                            [8:32:22]
> Resolving 'mail2.wilkesley.net'...
> Connecting to '127.0.0.1:143'...
> - Simple Client Mode:
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
> IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
> STARTTLS
> STARTTLS BAD Error in IMAP command received by server.
> According to the Dovecot wiki this should reply with the capabilities
> of my server, Note the server sends and receives mail OK using starttls.
>
> So what am I doing wrong?

I'm getting the feeling that the wiki is not clear enough on this point.
You are connecting to IMAP (port 143), which makes no sense. You should
connect to the port configured for the Sieve protocol, which is 4190 by
default and 2000 for older setups.

If your Sieve scripts are not being executed, you should check the
following first:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Troubleshooting

Regards,

Stephan.