[Dovecot] Spammers attempting SASL Auth

Tom Pawlowski tompru at jla.rutgers.edu
Mon Oct 17 19:10:38 EEST 2011

Take a look at:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/file/962df5d9413a/src/auth/auth-request.c

on line 536. That's the auth service catching illegal characters and
rejecting the attempt. It'll happen with or without a valid user. So,
working as it should.

As for spammers trying to brute force valid logins, yep, pretty common.
Higher rate of success if they can mail from a known good server and
account.

* Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com> [2011-10-17 11:51:15 -0400]:

--
 Tom Pawlowski
 OIT-CSS System Administrator           office: Hill 147