[Dovecot] Getting the SMTP envelope through IMAP?

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Sat Oct 22 19:56:31 EEST 2011

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011, Hadmut Danisch wrote:

> I don't believe it does make much sense to ask technical questions if
> this ends in silly discussions about whether an admin should do
> something this or that way or how long logfiles should be kept. This is
> not related to the technical question anymore and completely useless.
>
> I was looking for a simple yes or no, not for fruitless debates.
>
> I hate it if one is asking a pure technical question and in response
> gets lessons in what people consider as a correct behaviour.

This is a generic problem with technicians, always having tons of
arguments to support their statements ;-)

On the other hand, the question was a bit broad as a starting point. The
SMTP envelope is nothing more than SMTP protocol and is not in itself part
of the email format RFC. If you want to have this information saved in the
email message, then it is the task of the SMTP-server to add this in the
headers of the message. (Hardly parseable in Received headers, probably
better when also included in things like Return-path, Delivery-date and
Envelope-to.)
Whether or not one should apply any filtering, or when, or where, may be
related to this topic but I'd say that's the freedom of the user. Or, the
arbitrary choice of some manager ;-)

Just my 2 cents..

--
Maarten