[Dovecot] Temporary Failure that's Permanent!

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Wed Oct 26 11:36:56 EEST 2011

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, Noel Butler wrote:

> *sigh*
>
> As usual Stanley, you do not contribute anything constructive, only
> trollish jibberish

I don't know where both of you live, but can't you just grab a coffee and
find out what it is that makes a mockery of any discussion between the two
of you? Or why you can't seem to get along? Make sure the coffee isn't too
hot so you can at least throw it at one another without getting any lawyer
involved :-P

How hard would it be to just not feed the trolls, if you're so convinced
Stan is one. He's not even trying to get on your nerves, and yet you take
it personal.

I could have gone and *sigh* about Hadmuts not-so-polite last reply a few
days ago, but I figured that wouldn't have helped anyone. Probably not
even my ego.

Back on topic: there sems to be an issue that doesn't handle temporary
failures properly (i.e., it should at least record the details of the
failure in some logs). This may very well be related to a locally built
Dovecot, or being unfamiliar with Postfix/Dovecot configuration, or both.
You could try something like 'su' or 'sudo' to break the transactions into
separate parts, to see what's generating the tempfail and why. Maybe we're
missing some log entries right above the quoted postfix tempfail, that
shows some non-null exit code.

--
Maarten