[Dovecot] Indexes to MLC-SSD

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Oct 27 05:36:06 EEST 2011

On 10/26/2011 4:13 PM, Patrick Westenberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is anyone on this list who dares/dared to store his index files on a
> MLC-SSD?

I have not.  But I can tell you that a 32GB Corsair MLC SSD in my
workstation died after 4 months of laughably light duty.  It had nothing
to do with cell life but low product quality.  This was my first foray
into SSD.  The RMA replacement is still kickin after 2 months,
thankfully.  I'm holding my breath...

Scanning the reviews on Newegg shows early MLC SSD failures across most
brands, early being a year or less.  Some models/sizes are worse than
others.  OCZ has a good reputation overall, but reviews show some of
their models to be grenades.

Thus, if you were to put indexes on SSD, you should strongly consider
using a mirrored pair.

--
Stan