[Dovecot] Question about ionice & dovecot-deliver

Maria Arrea maria_arrea at gmx.com
Sun Oct 16 01:11:23 EEST 2011

Hello

 We are running dovecot 2.0.13 with mdbox on RHEL 5.7 x64, ext4 filesystem. Sometimes we have a big load increase because a mailing list server send 16.000 32k messages in less than 3 minutes. We want to "slow down" delivery, we prefer slow delivery instead of logging out webmail users.

 I have  the following line en /etc/postfix/master.cf:

 flags=DRhu user=userid argv=/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d ${user}

And in /etc/postfix/main.cf

 mailbox_command = /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver

I would like to add ionice to the equation, prefixing /usr/bin/ionice -c2 -n6 before the deliver lines in postfix config. Is there any other way of slowing down delivery speed vs imap access?

 Regards

 Maria