[Dovecot] Thunderbird slow in talking with dovecot IMAP AND to sendmail

Linda Walsh dovecot at tlinx.org
Tue Oct 25 13:14:41 EEST 2011

I'm trying to find out what's causing this slowdown -- it's INTOLERABLE....

over 1 minute and less than 1% done. (400MB file)...

After trying 3 times, I gave up and logged in using X to the server and
ran Tbird from there....

Mail sent out in < 1 minute, though the copy to dovecot took about 50%
longer.

So...

I looked at the network trace.

and everyfrackin' body was using 4K packet sizes (at the application
level!, the window size on TCP was over 64K...but no one was using
it)....especially galling with my network's MTU at 9K, BTW, because
small packets are really bad on a 1Gb network.

sendmail -- 4K,
dovecot /ssl, 4K...

wazzup .. is t-bird forcing this, or is there some ssl requirement?

but it can't just be ssl -- as it's talking to sendmail on port 25
unencrypted (it's a local
net anyway)...

I could see the entire binary going out in text form...

1 line at a time...a "C" line in sendmail, with lens of 4096...is that
some max?

I don't see it in the sendmail.cf files...wanted to see if anyone knew
of dovecot restrictions that
might limit packets to 4k, before I lamblasted the thunderbird people
for another act of mindless
stupidity  (the first being when they decided to cache all your IMAP
store on every local client
in the client's ROAMING profile...*brilliant*!!!...

sides, if I  wanted it on local I would have set 'store on local', but
in TB3, they know better
and change that for me...

Something about them being too stupid to use indexing and searching on
an imap server?  Maybe I
just imagined hearing that...