[Dovecot] setting namespaces using script-login environment in 2.0

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu.ac.at
Mon Oct 31 19:00:52 EET 2011

Hi!

With dovecot 1.x, I was using a post-login script to dynamically add
shared mailboxes using NAMESPACE_X.. environment variables, based on
filesystem permissions:
After login, the post-login script was executed with user permissions
(mail_drop_priv_before_exec=yes). It added all subdirectories of
"/var/spool/mail/Shared" as namespaces for which the user had write
permissions. E.g.:

NAMESPACE_2='maildir:/var/mail/Shared/spamrep:INDEX=~/Maildir/index/Shared/spamrep'
NAMESPACE_2_PREFIX=Shared/spamrep/
NAMESPACE_2_SEP=/
NAMESPACE_2_TYPE=public
NAMESPACE_2_LIST=yes

See the attached post-pogin-script for details.

After switching to 2.0.14 (using executable script-login -d...), the
script actually gets executed but the namespace settings do not seem to
be honored.
Besides, I don't see any pre-set NAMESPACE_ environment variables anymore.

Have environment based namespace settings been abandoned in 2.0?

Does Dovecot 2.0 maybe provide a better way to only display those
folders, for which the user has at least read permissions?
(Unix-permission based)

Thanks in advance,
--leo
--