[Dovecot] Can't got mail by OUTLOOK for a half million mails account

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Fri Sep 2 21:29:47 EEST 2011

On 9/1/2011 10:34 PM, Dong Ding wrote:

> I used postfix always_bcc to backup mail. And  up to now the backup account
> has half million mails in cur/, when I first time tried to receive the mail
> by outlook, it failed , no responds.
>
> Does any one has some good idea to deal with this problem?

If it's IMAP, you may have to try Thunderbird or some other IMAP client.
  But most are going to horribly die past 100k messages in a single
folder (and some will die much sooner).

There's also the brute force method of moving 90% of the messages to
some other temporary folder on the file system, grabbing the 50k that
are left.  Then moving messages back into the new/ folder in batches of
50k or so.

I'll echo Gregory's comment that you really need to setup some sort of
Sieve rules to split out messages to sub-folders on-the-fly going forward.