[Dovecot] error in logs, but system appears to work

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 04:59:27 EEST 2011

Chris Hoogendyk writes:

> So, looking at my other system that has been running dovecot for over a
> year, I see that the entries are mostly 0600, but there are a few 0660.
> The system I was just implementing has mostly 0660, but some 0600.  We
> had seen occasional similar errors on the other system.

Been there, done that.  Timo already gave an explanation of why 0600
gets rid of the problem.  I'll add a reminder that you'll need to
track down the reason why mailboxes are created user:mail/0660 in the
first place.  It's usually done by the LDA when creating a brand new
mailbox (for example, Solaris's mail.local).

If you've replaced your LDA with Dovecot's deliver, then this won't be
a problem anymore.

You may also have to scour your userbase's personal mail collection for
mailboxes that has 1) mode 0660, and 2) group membership the user is
not a part of, and fix up the permissions.  Such a thing could happen
if you've reassigned a user's GID.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>