[Dovecot] Shared Mailboxes with VirtualUsers and mail_location retrieved from ldap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 7 20:22:46 EEST 2011

On 6.9.2011, at 14.27, mailing lists wrote:

> I spend a couple of days configurating a new installation of dovecot 2.0.14 with virtual accounts and NFS storage for maildir home/mail directories.
>

> At this point I need shared mailboxes but since user mail/home locations are ldap attributes, how is it supposed I must configure this for shared mailboxes?
>
> for the users' mail/home directories I set this line:
>
> user_attrs = mailbox=mail=maildir:/var/maildir/%$,homeFilter=home

Are home dirs and mail dirs related in any way? The only way you can get it working is by using home dirs, e.g.:

user_attrs = mailbox=home=/var/maildir/%$

Then in dovecot.conf:

mail_location = maildir:~/

> namespace {
>   type = shared
>   separator = /
>   prefix = shared/%%u/
>   subscriptions = no
>   list = children

location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u

Of course, if you're already now using separate home dirs for some stuff, this won't really work.