[Dovecot] general advice sought

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 12 15:34:07 EEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 13:11 +0100, Alan Brown wrote:
> I'd like to hear the thoughts of list members on which type of storage
> method seems "best" for inboxes and for folders.
>
> The filesystem is GFS2 and for various reasons I can't change it.
..
> If I migrate to other formats (eg mdbox), then it needs to be able to be
> done on the fly. (Taking the mailservers down for a day won't go down
> well, even an hour raises howls).

Have you had any trouble with Dovecot's index files in your current
setup? Any errors at all? If not, I'd think mdbox will work fine. You
can do it incrementally per-user (and you really should try it first
with only a few users). http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Dsync explains
how to do it on the fly.