[Dovecot] Mails repopping

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Mon Sep 12 18:02:33 EEST 2011

Ah.  My apologies of course.  Here it is..

mail:~# dovecot -n
# 1.2.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64 Debian 6.0.2 ext3
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
ssl_ca_file: /etc/ssl/keys/rhodes-ca.crt
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/keys/mail.domain.net.crt
ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/private/mail.domain.net.key
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_privileged_group: mailsystem
mail_location: maildir:/var/spool/mail/virtual/%d/%n
maildir_very_dirty_syncs: yes
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugins(default): quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(imap): quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(pop3): quota
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
imap_client_workarounds(default): outlook-idle delay-newmail
imap_client_workarounds(imap): outlook-idle delay-newmail
imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster at domain.net
  mail_plugins: quota
  log_path:
  info_log_path:
  deliver_log_format: msgid=%m: %f: %$
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  user: mailsystem
  verbose: yes
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: prefetch
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=999 gid=115 home=/var/spool/mail/virtual/%d/%n allow_all_users=yes
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: mailsystem
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 432
      user: mailsystem
      group: mailsystem
plugin:
  quota: maildir

Could you make dovecot -n munge the certificate and postmaster email addresses?  I'm not comfortable with that floating on the internet..

The only thing I have in the logs is 2 sessions where mail was popped (note, it doesn't even add up to the 183 messages in the mail box).  But those sessions are vastly longer than the regular ones (tens of minutes compared to a few seconds).  Since both IPs are on the back-bone, that's quite a while to download 100 mails (none of which are over

Sep 11 21:36:25 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=64.88.168.84, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 11 21:36:34 mail dovecot: POP3(user at domain.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/183, size=14025971
Sep 11 21:43:44 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=64.88.168.84, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 11 21:44:54 mail dovecot: POP3(user at domain.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/183, size=14025971
Sep 11 21:52:31 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=64.88.168.84, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 11 22:56:01 mail dovecot: POP3(user at domain.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=100/9182678, del=0/183, size=14025971
Sep 11 23:08:58 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=64.88.168.84, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 11 23:37:57 mail dovecot: POP3(user at domain.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=75/4748674, del=0/183, size=14025971
Sep 12 00:04:11 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=64.88.168.84, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 12 00:04:26 mail dovecot: POP3(user at domain.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/183, size=14025971
Sep 12 00:07:40 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=64.88.168.84, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 12 00:07:53 mail dovecot: POP3(user at domain.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/183, size=14025971

> If you're using the default pop3_uidl_format it'll rely on IMAP UIDs
> to stay the same, and I guess it's possible that due to some other
> problem they change (that should be logged as an error/warning
> though).
>
> You could try setting pop3_uidl_format=%f, but it will cause everyone
> to redownload mails. With newer Dovecot versions you could set
> pop3_save_uidl=yes and when you think everyone's downloaded mails
> once you can safely change the pop3_uidl_format.

Sorry, I'm very new to dovecot and I'm not sure I understand.  I presume because neither of those keys are in the dovecot -n output that they are as the defaults, yes?  The account is indeed accessed by IMAP as well (from a mobile device mostly), but I don't see anything fishy there either.  How could I see if the IMAP UIDs have changed?

Sep 11 21:20:32 mail dovecot: IMAP(user at domain.com): Connection closed bytes=1095/8292

Sep 11 21:26:03 mail dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=174.252.83.244, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 11 22:11:20 mail dovecot: IMAP(user at domain.com): Disconnected for inactivity bytes=725/5638
Sep 11 22:17:10 mail dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=174.252.83.244, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 11 23:12:06 mail dovecot: IMAP(user at domain.com): Disconnected for inactivity bytes=1471/11025
Sep 11 23:23:22 mail dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=174.252.83.244, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 11 23:52:52 mail dovecot: IMAP(user at domain.com): Connection closed bytes=1841/13679
Sep 12 00:08:47 mail dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=174.252.83.244, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 12 01:19:05 mail dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<user at domain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=174.252.83.244, lip=83.170.65.xxx, TLS
Sep 12 02:57:01 mail dovecot: IMAP(user at domain.com): Connection closed bytes=2713/60026
Sep 12 02:57:01 mail dovecot: IMAP(user at domain.com): Connection closed bytes=2688/18635

There are no errors or warnings in the mail log (I have one shared log file for postfix, amavis and dovecot).  Reading the notes for pop3_save_uidl it doesn't seem to be a dangerous option  - should I turn that on?  Why will it force everyone to redownload mails (there's nothing about it on the wiki)?

Thanks!

Simon