[Dovecot] Deleted mailboxes with lazy_expunge

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Sep 16 13:08:08 EEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 11:51 +0200, Angel L. Mateo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I'm trying to configure lazy_expunge plugin (as a way to provide easy
> backup for mails). This is my configuration (as explained in dovecot wiki):

dovecot -n output would have been better. What do you use as
mail_location? My guess is that you have specified INDEX or CONTROL path
there, which isn't currently compatible with this..

> # Default namespace
> namespace {
>          prefix =
>          separator = /
>          inbox = yes
> }
>
> # namespaces for lazy_expunge plugin:
> namespace {
>    prefix = .EXPUNGED/
>    separator = /
>    location = maildir:~/Maildir/expunged
> }
> namespace {
>    prefix = .DELETED/
>    separator = /
>    location = maildir:~/Maildir/deleted
> }
> namespace {
>    prefix = .DELETED/.EXPUNGED/
>    separator = /
>    location = maildir:~/Maildir/deleted/expunged
>

> lazy_expunge = .EXPUNGED/ .DELETED/ .DELETED/.EXPUNGED/
>
> 	I use just one namespace because I don't want to differentiate between
> deleting mails or deleting mailboxes, but I have the same problem using
> the 3 namespaces.

In above config you're using 3 namespaces, not 1. This problem shouldn't
exist if you use just one namespace.

> 	and my mail client reports the error "[CANNOT] Can't rename mailboxes
> accross specified storages" and the mail folder isn't created in the
> DELETED namespace.

With http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/e57bd3e2ec27 it'll now log
the reason why it's not possible.