[Dovecot] outlook 2007 very slow.

Linda Walsh dovecot at tlinx.org
Tue Sep 20 02:03:54 EEST 2011

` Kui Zhang wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a user with 2500+ sub folders. Total mailboxes size is around
> 6G. (mdbox, dovecot 2:2.0.14)
>
> Syncing/Receiving appears to be slow, with outlook 2007. He does not
> want to switch to an alternative, due to various reasons.
>
> Any one else having similar issue?
> Anything else I should do to narrow down the issue?

----
    I can't speak for outlook 2007, but back in outlook 2000, as well as
outlook 2002, it spoke a broken dialect of IMAP that would cause it to
hang if you enabled it to read multiple mailboxes at one time.

The only safe way I found to use it was to only let it use 1 connection at
a time, and even then it wasn't impossible to cause to to fail.

Perhaps MS limited outlook to only 1 connection to IMAP servers -- when I
spoke to the engineer, they said that really had IMAP support at the
lowest level, as it allowed the use of non-MS servers and mail servers --
and they only wanted to support Exchange (in order to get sites to buy
exchange!)...

    The issue was reported broken in 2000, and they had not fixed it by
2002 (office XP), so I moved to thunderbird...

    I missed a few-several features, but I didn't miss the slowness and
unreliability in everyday reading of email.

    Another problem -- AFAIK, outlook is only 32bit.  My mom gets
harassed, constantly to move things out of her primary .pst file and into
'archives', (where she can't easily access them and they don't have to be
indexed...) because, the internal format became more strained as it got
larger.   With 6G of folders, indexing those, your user might be hitting
outlook memory problems (not running out, but 'thrashing')...

    If possible, he might try unsubbing to older boxes on his main
account, and setup an alternate account to 'go into the archives'...that
way syncing only with currently active folders should go much faster)...

Send him my condolences...

-l