[Dovecot] About using Dovecot indexes with Thunderbird/kmail

Anton Aylward Anton.Aylward at antonaylward.com
Wed Sep 21 15:25:27 EEST 2011

Charles Marcus said the following on 09/21/2011 08:05 AM:
> On 2011-09-20 5:37 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
>> Charles Marcus said the following on 09/20/2011 04:22 PM:
>
>>> So turn it (GLODA) off...
>
>> Ah
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Using_Gloda
>> Well it is off, but I still have these index files ...
>
> You still have *what* index files? There is only one GLODA index file,
> and you have to manually delete it after disabling GLODA to make it go
> away. It will recreate itself, but it will be tiny, and remain static.

global-messages-db.sqlite
No, it grows.
I speculate it grows as I visit new folders but am still looking into that.

>> So perhaps its not index that taking all the space and gets rebuilt when
>> T Bird says its downloading the headers and indexing ...
>
> It will definitely say it is downloading headers, but it shouldn't say
> indexing, that is GLODA.

I can't say I like that but see its necessity: how else could it display
them :-)

But looking under ~/.thunderbird/1current/ I'm finding folders for each
folder on the server that have the full text of the messages (but not in
mbox format), as well as the XML styled header information.
Occasionally I find binary blobs that 'strings' shows contain headers.
I've deleted them but it doesn't seem to affect TBird.  I'll go back and
look to see if they get recreated :-(

> Do you have it set to download *all* messages? That is the default, and
> I *hate* it.

NO I DO NOT!
I NEVER HAVE AND I NEVER WILL
That strikes me as such an obvious space-waster!

> I always disable it globally, then set a few select folders to only
> download 'on demand' (offline use) (Inbox, Sent, and a few others).

Not even that.

--
"Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done."
   -- Fred Friendly