[Dovecot] What best decision to make for flatfiles or SQL when I use Dovecot2 + Postfix together?

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Wed Sep 28 15:02:05 EEST 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:44:24 +0200
Jan-Frode Myklebust articulated:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:51:18AM -0700, terryjames9461 at mm.st wrote:
> >
> > I'm a little confused about: to do that sharing-in-one-place, do I
> > have to use SQL or can I use the flatfiles like passwd-db?   I
> > think for sure someone already decided the best approach for this,
> > and maybe I'm not understanding the logic to it.
>
> Best approach is probably to store this in an ldap-directory. Then you
> can easily have multi-master replication, and avoid any single point
> of failure for your database. Both postfix and dovecot will be able to
> lookup the data using ldap.

While "ldap" may be fine for some users; personally, I have had nothing
but catastrophic results when attempting to use it. I am fully aware
that the main problem is that I am not truly "ldap" proficient. For the
end user who needs an easy to maintain database I would unequivocally
recommend MySQL. It has the added bonus of not requiring that Postfix
(and I am not sure about Dovecot) be restarted if the database is
changed. In Postfix, this also eliminates the requirement that
"postmap" be run on the edited files prior to restarting Postfix.

Just my unsolicited 2¢.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net