[Dovecot] What best decision to make for flatfiles or SQL when I use Dovecot2 + Postfix together?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Sep 28 16:02:51 EEST 2011

Am 27.09.2011 17:51, schrieb terryjames9461 at mm.st:
> Hello,
>
> I'm moving my mail server from Exchange to an opensource one.
>
> After a bunch of reading, I decided on building a Dovecot2 + Postfix
> server in a VirtualUsers-only + Multiple-domains configuration.
>
> Since my messages will be stored by Dovecot, and the documentation is
> really good, I figured that it's smartest to configure Dovecot, then
> make Postfix 'fit' to it, sharing the data files that way.
>
> I read through lots of the Dovecot wiki for v2.
>
> There are many ways for storing the database data.  My goal is to only
> have data in one instances, used by both Postfix & Dovecot.
>
> I'm a little confused about: to do that sharing-in-one-place, do I have
> to use SQL or can I use the flatfiles like passwd-db?   I think for sure
> someone already decided the best approach for this, and maybe I'm not
> understanding the logic to it.
>
> The data I think I need to share are:
>
>  users (user at domain.com)
>  passwords
>  user aliases (mapping user2 at domain.com -> user1 at domain.com)
>  domains
>  domain aliases (domain.com also receives email for domain2.com)
>
> And I think all of this can be in passwd-db in Dovecot.  But I also want
> to make sure that Postfix ONLY accepts email for users/domains that
> exist, so it has to read that data too.
>
> Can I do this that way with the flatfiles?  Or do I have to use the SQL
> approach?
>

> TJ

i do it all with postfixadmin and mysql,
in my eyes you could use plain flat files , if your the only on who
admins i.e over ssh etc

but if you want a customer friendly mailserver, with
parted superadmin/domainadmin/user administration over some i.e. http gui
you should better use sql and/or ldap stuff

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria