[Dovecot] What best decision to make for flatfiles or SQL when I use Dovecot2 + Postfix together?

Thomas Leuxner tlx at leuxner.net
Thu Sep 29 10:57:53 EEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 03:14:12PM -0700, terryjames9461 at mm.st wrote:
> With using the Dovecot lmtp option, where does Postfix know to refuse
> email for a non-existing user or domain?  That also has to be shared?

Sticking to the Flatfile recipe on the Wiki, Postfix would query the
Auth Backend of Dovecot. The actual user records would sit on the
Dovecot side, where Postfix would only worry about valid domains etc.

Fancy stuff like Aliasing would be better done on the Postfix side in
this scenario although it would also be possible to have bogus User
records in Dovecot to address that.

Thomas