[Dovecot] Read-only mbox files

Tim Bishop tim at bishnet.net
Fri Sep 9 22:44:33 EEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm using Dovecot 1.2.16 (I can upgrade to 2.0 if need be) and I'm
having trouble stopping Dovecot from modifying mbox files.

The setup is that my main namespace points at my Maildir mail folders.
In addition to this I have a second namespace that points at some old
archived mbox folders. I rarely need to access these folders, but when I
do Dovecot modifies the files (adding UID headers, etc).

What I'd like to do is make it so that Dovecot can't change these files.
I thought there might be a setting to mark a mail_location as read-only,
but I can't find anything like that. I've looked at ACLs too, but they
seem to be more about user access that what Dovecot can do to files.

I could just do this at the filesystem level, but I'd feel a bit happier
about working with Dovecot rather than trying to work around it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reading.

Tim.

--