[Dovecot] namespace hierarchy

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 4 04:47:33 EEST 2012

On 1.4.2012, at 10.28, Tom Fernandes wrote:

> I'm  migrating from Courier to Dovecot and would like to keep the original
> namespace and add two new ones on the new server.
>
> There's only one namespace in Courier which is "INBOX." . The seperator is "."
>
> In the new server I would like to have 3 namespaces (private, public, shared)
> and use "/" as separator. Is it possible to keep "INBOX." for private, so that
> the users mailboxes appear below the Inbox, but have public and shared on the
> same hierarchy-level like the Inbox?
>
> When I set prefix to "INBOX/" for private I get the users mailboxes below the
> Inbox, like I have it Courier now. But then at least the public, probably also
> the shared namespace doesn't work any more. I get "unknown subscription
> namespace" when trying to subscribe to some of the folders.

If you have any subscriptions=no namespaces, you need a parent namespace that has subscriptions=yes. You could have e.g.:

namespace {
  prefix = INBOX/
  list = no
  inbox = yes
}
namespace {
  prefix =
  list = no
  hidden = yes
  alias_for = INBOX/
}

So now the prefix="" is used for the subscriptions but nothing else really.

Anyway, INBOX/ isn't the same as INBOX. so if any client configs are using INBOX. as namespace prefix then they don't work with INBOX/.