[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA/LMTP vs postfix virtual delivery agent and the x-original-to header

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Sat Apr 7 21:06:48 EEST 2012

On 4/6/2012 1:00 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2012-04-06 2:53 PM, Daniel L. Miller <dmiller at amfes.com> wrote:
>> I'm currently using Postfix 2.7, Dovecot 2.1, and the Dovecot LDA. I
>> have a pure virtual user environment stored in LDAP. My messages include
>> X-Original-To and Delivered-To headers.
>
> Well that is great news... at least I'll be able to use the LDA, if
> not LMTP...
>
> Thanks! :)
>
>> I had difficulty getting the LMTP transport to work previously - I may
>> revisit that.
>
> If you do, by all means reply back on whether or not the headers are
> still there...
>
> Thanks again,

 From the documentation...
http://www.postfix.org/virtual.8.html

The*virtual*(8)  <http://www.postfix.org/virtual.8.html>   delivery  agent  prepends  a "*From*  /sender/
        /time/*_*/stamp/" envelope header to each  message,  prepends  a
        *Delivered-To:*   message  header with the envelope recipient
        address, prepends an*X-Original-To:*  header with the recip-
        ient  address as given to Postfix, prepends a*Return-Path:*
        message header with the envelope sender address,  prepends
        a>  character to lines beginning with "*From*  ", and appends
        an empty line.

Using the Postfix pipe agent, which is what is used with the Dovecot LDA,
http://www.postfix.org/pipe.8.html

*flags=BDFORXhqu.*>  (optional)
               Optional  message  processing  flags. By default, a
               message is copied unchanged.

               *B*       Append a blank line at the end of each  mes-
                      sage.  This  is  required  by some mail user
                      agents that recognize  "*From*   "  lines  only
                      when preceded by a blank line.

               *D*       Prepend  a "*Delivered-To:*  /recipient/" message
                      header with the envelope recipient  address.
                      Note: for this to work, the/transport/*_desti-*
                      *nation_recipient_limit*  must be 1  (see  SIN-
                      GLE-RECIPIENT DELIVERY above for details).

                      The*D*   flag  also  enforces  loop detection
                      (Postfix  2.5  and  later):  if  a   message
                      already contains a*Delivered-To:*  header with
                      the same recipient address, then the message
                      is  returned  as  undeliverable. The address
                      comparison is case insensitive.

                      This feature is available as of Postfix 2.0.

               *F*       Prepend  a "*From*  /sender time/*_*/stamp/" envelope
                      header to  the  message  content.   This  is
                      expected by, for example,*UUCP*  software.

               *O*       Prepend  an  "*X-Original-To:*  /recipient/" mes-
                      sage header with the  recipient  address  as
                      given  to  Postfix.  Note: for this to work,
                      the*/transport/_destination_recipient_limit  <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_destination_recipient_limit>*
                      must  be  1  (see  SINGLE-RECIPIENT DELIVERY
                      above for details).

Unfortunately, the docs for the ltmp agent
http://www.postfix.org/lmtp.8.html don't say anything about adding these
headers.  I tried asking on the Postfix list - didn't get much of an
answer.
--
Daniel