[Dovecot] Outlook (2010) -> Dovecot (IMAP) >10x slower with high network load and many folders

Thomas von Eyben thomasvoneyben at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 23:13:15 EEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Willie Gillespie
<wgillespie+dovecot at es2eng.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/2012 3:52 AM, Thomas von Eyben wrote:
>>
>> Test results:
>> CLIENT-1 is having the problems when CLIENT-2 is using all the
>> (100Mbps) bandwidth eg. copying files to MAIL-SRV.
>> If I move CLIENT-1 to CLIENT-3 then almost all the delay is gone.
>> NB.: I have not (yet) tested if the problem also exists when CLIENT-2
>> generates traffic to MAIL-SRV as opposed to OTHER-SRV (but I am
>> expecting the same problems).
>

> So the link between your 100 Mbps switch and the 1 Gbps switch is saturated
> by CLIENT-2, so CLIENT-1 is just getting the leftovers?
>
> Since CLIENT-3 doesn't go through that 100 Mbps switch, it obviously doesn't
> see that issue.

Yes - that's my current "workaround" (perhaps also solution), I'm
wondering if the performance is really expected to be _so_ bad when
other users are utilizing the LAN.
(You seem to indicate that what I am observing is expected and is
"just" caused by [un-intended] semi-bad behavior from other users…)

BR TvE