[Dovecot] Multiply mailboxes vs one huge

Alexander Chekalin achekalin at lazurit.com
Mon Apr 9 22:39:40 EEST 2012

Hello, Timo,

I feel a bit unsure about "which 'date' I mean", since I always consider
the only date from Date: header. But which value is used as INTERNALDATE
then? As soon as I use (for now) maildir storage type, all the metadata
are stored in messages. So I expect Dovecot somehow parse and use Date:
field itself, or I'm wrong with it? And also what's about messages
without Date header at all?

But the Date isn't the worst thing. Look, to have my archive work I
setup server-side filter which redirect all messages it processed also
to my archive mailbox. This way, each message (after such a redirect)
targeted to 'archive at mydomain', instead of its original destination
email. The only place I can find out the original recipient is to parse
'Recieved' field(-s).

As I think I understand that none of these headers (Date or Received)
are to be used for SEARCH anyway, and this was the idea behind creating
my own index. But wait, is there any way I can make Dovecot also index
additional fields (yes, I talk about 'Received') - then it'll be the
best solution!

Thank you, Timo, for your work,
yours,
Alexander