[Dovecot] old messages being delivered to blackberry

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 10 18:11:53 EEST 2012

On 10.4.2012, at 16.45, Luc Belliveau wrote:

> Several users are reporting old messages (sometime years old) are being delivered as new on their blackberry devices... I've confirmed that this happens to all blackberry users... I believe the problem is related to this error:
>
> Maildir: Expunged message reappeared, giving a new UID

This means:

1. readdir() returns maildir file X
2. Later readdir() doesn't return file X, so Dovecot thinks the mail is expunged and also tells the client the mail is expunged
3. Later readdir() once again returns file X, so Dovecot can't really do anything except treat it as a new mail.

> Possibly caused by GlusterFS, the indexes were still getting corrupted, even with only 1 server... so I've moved the indexes to a local directory on each server.  I'm no longer getting index related errors... but the expunged error is still occuring... and the error seems to happen a few moments before the BB gets a bunch of messages... so it's very likely related.
>
> I would like to continue using GlusterFS if possible; I haven't found any indication that it is outright unsupported, as long as I'm using Director...

If glusterfs can't do readdir() reliably, there's not a whole lot you can do.. Except maybe switch to another mailbox format. But if you're getting index corruption also with 1 Dovecot server, it doesn't look very promising.