[Dovecot] Bug tracker

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Wed Apr 11 10:10:07 EEST 2012

* Antoine Nguyen <ngu.antoine at gmail.com>:
> > I started thinking that perhaps I should move my TODO list to a bug
> > tracker. But because of reasons I've explained a few times before, I don't
> > want a full blown public bug tracking system. The requirements for it are:
> >
> >  * I am the only person who can add new bugs. Everyone else reports
> > bugs/requests to this mailing list as before. (Well, I guess Stephan could
> > use this as well if he wants to.)
> >
> >  * Everyone can comment existing bugs.
> >
> >  * Dovecot mailing list integration: Commenting a bug sends a mail to the
> > mailing list. Replies to those comments go back to bug tracker (probably
> > based on some [#1234] tag in subject). I would have the option of adding a
> > comment that doesn't go to the mailing list (= adding some internal comment
> > that nobody else cares about). Notifications about new bugs won't go to the
> > mailing list (most likely it was created due to a recent mailing list post).
> >
> > So the main difference to how things work now is that people would be able
> > to easily browse existing bugs and add comments to them. I would add bugs
> > there only when I'm not planning on fixing them within a few days. I
> > wouldn't add each and every feature request there, only the things that I'm
> > actually interested in developing. So the idea would be to actually get the
> > bug tracker emptied at some point, not to be a graveyard of unimportant
> > feature requests that about 1-2 people in the world would want.
> >
> > So, any suggestions for what software could do these things? I think
> > Request Tracker has those features, but it's not really the
> > nicest/prettiest thing.
> >

> Maybe Redmine ? (http://www.redmine.org/
>
> It's more than just a bug tracker but I think it answers your needs.

+1

We moved from trac to redmine about a year ago and still are very happy about
it. Our non-technical customers can deal with it well. Redmine allows to hide
projects and it knows the concept of sub-projects. It's versatile in terms of
repositories (mercurial supported) and ticket handling is fine too.

Sometimes I miss a more comfortable wiki editor, but that's a minor tradeoff.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666