[Dovecot] Problems with Apple Mail and attachments

Thierry de Montaudry thierry at odry.net
Wed Apr 11 19:44:59 EEST 2012

On 11 Apr 2012, at 16:13, Helga Mayer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> has anyone experiences with the Apple mail client, to be precise : Mail 5.2?
> When I copy a message with an attachment from the inbox to a different folder using 'move' or 'copy' , Apple Mail does not properly display the attachment in the new folder.
>
> When I copy the same message using 'archive' the attachment shows up properly.
> There is no difference on the server side. We are using maildirs. The raw
> messages in the various folders are identical.
> Deleting plist on the Mac didn't help.
> After removing and recreation of the account (client side) the attachments are displayed correctly again.
>
> Is this an apple problem or has it got anything to do with dovecot.index.cache ?
>
> Kind Regards
> Helga Mayer

Hi Helga,

I'm using Apple Mail 5.2 with a dovecot server (2.0.13, with maildir), and recently had no trouble like that, even though working with a mailbox that has about 10000 emails, a lot of folders, and moving mails around all the time.
I've seen a similar problem a while ago (1 year maybe more), but used the mailbox Rebuild option on the client, which fixed it without having to delete and recreate the account. Your problem might just be a local index corruption, which can happen when loosing your Internet connection.

Regards,

	Thierry