[Dovecot] Better to use a single large storage server or multiple smaller for mdbox?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Apr 11 19:50:09 EEST 2012

Re XFS.  Have you been watching BTRFS recently?

I will concede that despite the authors considering it production ready
I won't be using it for my servers just yet.  However, it's benchmarking
on single disk benchmarks fairly similarly to XFS and in certain cases
(multi-threaded performance) can be somewhat better.  I haven't yet seen
any benchmarks on larger disk arrays yet, eg 6+ disks, so no idea how it
scales up.  Basically what I have seen seems "competitive"

I don't have such hardware spare to benchmark, but I would be interested
to hear from someone who benchmarks your RAID1+linear+XFS suggestion,
especially if they have compared a cutting edge btrfs kernel on the same
array?

One of the snags of md RAID1 vs RAID6 is the lack of checksumming in the
event of bad blocks.  (I'm not sure what actually happens when md
scrubbing finds a bad sector with raid1..?).  For low performance
requirements I have become paranoid and been using RAID6 vs RAID10,
filesystems with sector checksums seem attractive...

Regards

Ed W