[Dovecot] Configuration advices for a 50000 mailboxes server(s)

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Tue Apr 17 23:08:20 EEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:10:02AM -0300, Mauricio López Riffo wrote:

> 1M = 1 milion ?

976508 to be exact :-) but it's very much a useless number. Lots and lots
of these are inactive. A better number is probably that we're seeing
about 80 logins/second for the last hour.. (just checked now, not sure
if this is the most busy hour or not).

> How many servers you have?  hardware?

7 backend dovecot servers (two IBM x336, three x346 and two x3550, with
a 8 GB for the x336/x346 and 16GB memory memory for the x3550's).
2 frontend dovecot directors (IBM x3550).

None of these are really very busy, so we could probably reduce the
number of backends a bit if we wanted. Our struggle is the number of
iops we're able to get from the backend storage (IBM DS4800), mostly
a problem when we have storms of incoming marketing messages in addition
to the pop/imap traffic.

  -jf