[Dovecot] Dovecot and Outlook Express "plaintext authentication not allowed..."

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed Apr 18 00:27:18 EEST 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 13:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
D Chen articulated:

> Per your suggestion, in Outlook Express I changed to use SSL on port
> 993 for IMAP, and port 465 for SMTP, the creation of the new account
> succeeded without error!  However, when tried to send to my yahoo
> mail or gmail acct,  got the following error: (apparently failed to
> send!)
>
> "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
> rejected by the server.  The rejected email address was
> 'dchenusa at yahoo.com.'  Subject: 'test out to yahoo mail'
> Account:'dchen192.168.20.100' Server: 192.168.20.100
> Protocol: SMTP, server response: 554 5.7.1
> <unknown[192.168.20.51]>: client host rejected access denied, port:
> 465, Secured [SSL]: Yes, server Error: 554, Error number: 0x800CCC79"
>
> PS. in the same client PC, using Thunderbird client, IMAP and SMTP
> configured with either with SSL or without SSL, both outgoing mails
> were sent successfully!
>
> Any thought?

Well, my first thought is that you should lost the tendency to "Top
Post".

Second, why are you screwing around with the SMTP settings? Dovecot
could not care less about them.

Third, Outlook Express has been abandoned years ago. Why are you still
using it? If you really need it, try Windows Live Essentials
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-other-programs>.
I know users who have it working with Dovecot just fine.

--
Jerry ♔