[Dovecot] migrate 15K users to new domain name

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 14:01:44 EEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:22, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode at tanso.net>wrote:

> I need to migrate 15K users to a new domain name, and plan to use "dsync
> mirror" in the transition phase. Could someone confirm that this should
> work:
>
> Before giving users access to new-domain do a first sync to get all the
> stale data over:
>
>        for user in $old-domain; do
>                dsync mirror $user at old-domain $user at new-domain
>        done
>
> Configure sieve vacation filter to forward all messages from
> $user at old-domain to $user at new-domain, and notify sender of changed
> address.
>
> Give users access to both new-domain and old-domain, and do a final
> sync.
>
>        for user in $old-domain; do
>                dsync mirror $user at old-domain $user at new-domain
>                dsync mirror $user at old-domain $user at new-domain  # twice in
> case the first was slow
>                drop all messages for $user at old-domain
>                Leave notice message for $user at old-domain saying he should
> use new-domain
>        done
>
> Wait a few weeks/months, and then drop all users at old-domain.
>

> Does this look sensible?
>

>  -jf

What do you mean by a "new domain" in this context? Is the server changing?
Is the storage changing?
In my thinking, a domain change is as simple as using a rewrite rule in
your MTA.
I am sure I didn't understand your requirement and as such my response is
equally vague.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,