[Dovecot] mbox folders on-disc layout

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Apr 21 00:23:02 EEST 2012

On 20.4.2012, at 12.01, John Robinson wrote:

> Yes, I read all that, and thought all the options were pretty ugly - and the comment that it's a "trick" configuration would seem to suggest that the original author thought so to. And I think Maildir++ is pretty ugly too. If I wanted to try writing a new LAYOUT, where should I begin?

src/lib-storage/mailbox-list-private.h has the API you need to implement
src/lib-storage/list/mailbox-list-fs* is the "fs" implementation
src/lib-storage/list/mailbox-list-maildir* is the "maildir++" implementation

So decide which one looks more like the one you want, and either copy&paste it or start extending it. For example "imapdir" is nearly the same implementation as "maildir++" but almost all of the code is shared.