[Dovecot] questions about SPECIAL-USE and virtual

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 23 15:33:05 EEST 2012

On 23.4.2012, at 15.27, l.chelchowski at eurocar.pl wrote:

> I have some questions about Special-Use and virtual namespace:
>
> I want to create a virtual namespace with mailboxes: Sent, Unread, Flagged, All.
>
> 1. Is it enough to put in the config file:
> mailbox virtual/Sent {
>    auto = subscribe
>    special_use = \Sent
> }

You have to put the mailbox {}es inside the namespace {} you want. Otherwise it just gives "unknown section" error.

> OR I have to make also dovecot-virtual files?

You have to do this also. The mailbox {} sections don't do anything magically different. They simply add the \Sent flag. The auto=subscribe can automatically subscribe the virtual mailbox, but it can't automatically create it, because new virtual mailboxes can't be created by IMAP clients.

> 2. In dovecot-virtual file can I put for mailbox virtual/Sent something like:
> *
>    \Sent

No. I'm not sure what you'd want that to do. There is no \Sent message flag.

> 3. Is the http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual full documented, if not , where can I find it?

The only other documentation is the code.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154