[Dovecot] dovecot %u variable problem....

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Wed Apr 25 11:26:15 EEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:17:18AM +0100, Kris wrote:

[..]

> the problem is a variable in dovecot (%u) which is normally used as
> a full username in sql query strings (i.e. user at domain) and is
> simply dropping the domain for some reason...

[..]

> and to further confuse me, this 'unchangeable' variable sometimes
> decides to right itself without any obvious reason...
> localhost dovecot: auth: Debug:
> sql(admin at microhard.com,xx.xx.xx.xx): query: SELECT id as user,
> crypt as password FROM users WHERE id= 'admin at microhard.com'
>
> im wondering if its something to do with my client dropping the
> domain, or whether dovecot has an error, or some other thing ive
> overlooked...

Indeed, it seems some of your users try to authenticate with a
username without the '@domain' part.

You can either try to make your users comply or you can use
auth_default_realm in your config:

	# Default realm/domain to use if none was specified. This is
	# used for both SASL realms and appending @domain to username
	# in plaintext logins.
	#
	#auth_default_realm =