[Dovecot] Session IDs

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Apr 28 20:16:54 EEST 2012

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> v2.1.2 added support for "session IDs", which is a 9 year unique identifier
> for that specific IMAP/POP3 connection. Initially I thought it would only be
> useful for tracking connections going through Dovecot proxies to backends
> (the session ID is forwarded)

Sounds like an interesting debugging feature.

> Apr 28 17:38:27 imap-login: Info: Login: user=<tss>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=14338, secured, session=<rNuHLL6+jgB/AAAB>
> The last line requires a modified mail_log_prefix, I wasn't planning on changing its default.

What does your mail_log_prefix look like?

Can you document the needed variable at
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Variables please?

> 1) Does this change break someone's auth log line parsing?

We don't do any parsing, just sending logs to a central syslog server
for debugging purposes.

> 2) Does the auth prefix look prettier with or without <> around session id? :)

It should be separated using a fixed name like session=... for easy parsing.

Regards,
Daniel