[Dovecot] help with AES_DECRYPT and password lookup - mysql password_query

Jeff Lacki jeep at rahul.net
Sun Apr 29 05:29:49 EEST 2012

> salted hash format such as SSHA, and use plaintext auth (over SSL, of
> course).

Thank you so much for your in depth reponse Gedalya, I appreciate it!

So now that I changed things up and my conf is:
auth_mechanisms = plain login
disable_plaintext_auth = no

I get the following, which I dont get, because now it seems to be telling me
that my decrypted AES password needs to be MD5-CRYPT or PLAIN-MD5?

Debug: sql(jeff,127.0.0.1): query: SELECT AES_DECRYPT(password, 'mykey') AS password, userid AS user FROM users WHERE userid='jeff' AND AES_DECRYPT(password, 'mykey')='mypass'
Error: sql(jeff,127.0.0.1): Invalid password 'mypass' in passdb: Not a valid MD5-CRYPT or PLAIN-MD5 password
Debug: sql(jeff,127.0.0.1): MD5(mypass) != 'mypass', try PLAIN scheme instead
Apr 28 19:18:56 mydomain dovecot: auth: Debug: client out: FAIL#0111#011user=jeff

This is even more confusing as my mechanisms say plain, not any type of MD5?

Thanks again!
/mf/home/jeep/shell/.signature