[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.2.9. next_uid was lowered

Müller Lukas lukas.mueller at newmedia.ch
Tue Apr 3 10:24:58 EEST 2012

Hi There

A while ago I posted here about a crash of dovecot, that had to do with nfs and was quite certainly due to bad luck.

But still one problem persists:
We have a Mailbox, that is accessed from multiple users using IMAP.
Occasionally all the Emails in the mailbox seem to be missing, when accessing the Mailbox through IMAP, although they're still there on the server.

This seems to happen, if the users are accessing the Mailbox on Server1 and at the same time an email gets delivered to the mailbox on server2.
Since it happens quite seldom, there must be other conditions or circumstances that have to be met for the problem to occur. Unfortunately I don't know which.

Shortly after the mail gets delivered on server2, I get the following errors on server1:
mail01 dovecot: IMAP(akzidenz at triner.ch): fdatasync(/data/vmail/example.com/user/dovecot-uidlist) failed: Input/output error
mail01 dovecot: IMAP(akzidenz at triner.ch): /data/vmail/example.com/user/dovecot-uidlist: next_uid was lowered (2143 -> 2142, hdr=2142)

The new mail is than missing in the uidlist and as long as no new mail arrives all folders of the mailbox appear to be empty.
If a new mail arrives, it will get the uid that should have been given to the pervious mail (the one that caused the error).
The previous mail still won't be listed in the uidlist, but everything works as expected.
Best regards
Lukas Müller
Systems Engineer
NEWMEDIA